Friday, August 24, 2012

Building A Mystery

I never get straight to the point with my writings.  This one is titled "Building A Mystery" because with the work I have done so far I can see where a mystery could easily be conjured from the information.  This is the first of my blogs on Blogger just to get any potential readers acquainted with the kinds of things I think about every waking moment of the day.

When I was perhaps 14 or so I read the book Cosmos by Carl Sagan.  Brilliant man.  From that moment on I was enthralled by science.  I remember my father taking me to the library in a town five miles away every week or other weekend.  My parents were avid readers as was most of my family. We chewed through books.  I had two sections, and pretty much only two sections, I was interested in.  Science and Science Fiction.

This was a small county library.  It's been so long that I can't even recall what it looked like inside but I can remember the smell. Anyone that grew up before libraries became sanitized digital outlets the smell that greeted you was the musty smell of paper. If you have an extra number of smell receptors in your nose, like I have, you not only smelled paper you smelled the dust on the paper and the warm patch on the carpet where the sunlight hit. You could smell the fresh ink on new science books. If you had the deluxe smell package, as those like myself, and the people who smell water for the state of New York for a living, you could smell the people that walked down that aisle a few minutes or hours before you did.  The peanut butter sandwich the kid who read Nightfall by Asimov had for a snack in the middle of the night by the light of the street lamp outside on the corner of Elm Street.  Or maybe that was me.

There was a limit of 14 books. I would easily find 14 books to read.  A mixture of astrophysics, chemistry, cosmology, and science fiction. One of the ladies once felt she needed to tell me, the 14 year old kid with a stack of science books,  that there was only a 2 week period before the books were to be returned.  My dad. An imposing man with dark black hair and blue eyes, a gaze like Clint Eastwood, looked at the woman with a glint in his eye and said "He'll have those done probably before next week".  I smiled.  My dad didn't seem to think much of me most the time, probably for good reason, but that day he stood up for the one thing he saw in me that this person couldn't see.  An intense desire to know what was really going on.

 I studied Chemistry (up to 300 level), Biology (300), Philosophy (200), Computer Programming (Diploma) Licensed in Liberty Basic, Physics (rudimentary), Archaeology, Social Studies, World Food and Hunger, and many many other things.

I have studied all these disciplines some in depth some just enough to find out what I was looking for at the time. I write programs for my own research such as imaging billions of digits of Pi and the Square Root of 2 and using the files from the Human Genome Project, looking for, yes you guessed it, mysteries.  I will share some of those images as I proceed.


In the following posts I will explain to you what I have seen. There are periods of time in my studies that I have run into walls in my thinking then something new would catch my eye and I would exhaust that avenue.  The walls are coming faster it seems and I think I have figured out why.  I can't find and absorb the information as quickly as I need to for the scope of the task at hand. Possibly it is the height of hubris to believe I can figure it out. But hey, I haven't got much else to do. Killing time until time kills me and all that.

If you are also curious about the true nature of existence and find some resonance with what you read here feel free to leave a comment. If you find an error I would like to know that too. My intent here is to learn and discover not dictate.

Thank you for your time.


No comments:

Post a Comment